Disputes Triubunal

If someone owes you money and it is less than $30,000 you may wish to consider chasing the debt yourself via the Disputes Tribunal. This must be done within 6 years of the debt occurring.
To make an application to the disputes tribunal you will need to:

• Complete an application form (paper or online)
• Pay a filing fee – up to $180 (reduced if you are seeking less than $5,000)
• Make a convincing case
• Attend the disputes tribunal hearing

You can find information on what you need to make a claim via this link:

Here is an example of a completed application form:

When completing Part 5 – Details of your dispute, try to keep your summary brief and to the point. For example:

• Issued my Terms of Trade and quotation by email on [date].
• Commenced work on [date]
• Issued invoice/payment claim on [date]
• Payment or response/payment schedule was due on [date]
• I am seeking a monetary order so I can pursue the debt owed.

You can apply to the Disputes Tribunal online via this link:

Other files you may be interested in...


Grow with confidence

For Homeowners


Members Tools

Members Portal

Contact Us

PO Box 3178
Christchurch 8140
New Zealand

Send Enquiry


Wood Bricklaying Ltd

Established in 1969, Wood Bricklaying is a third generation family run company backed by more than 50 years’ experience.

MORE >>>